Animal Control

Livonia's Animal Control Office is part of the Public Service Division located at 12973 Farmington Road (one block south of Schoolcraft, west on Graytona).

Office Hours:  Monday through Friday 8:30a.m. - 5:00p.m
(734) 466-2655   

Animal Control officers respond to residents' requests for services including:

  • Rescuing injured animals  
  • Controlling stray animals and potentially dangerous animals roaming at large.
  • Investigating barking dog complaints and reports of abuse or neglect.
  • Advice on wildlife issues. We do not trap or transport healthy wildlife.

If you find a cat or dog, or if your cat or dog is missing, call and report it to the Animal Control Office at (734) 466-2655.         

The City of Livonia does not maintain a shelter for animals picked up by Animal Control.  These animals are transported to the Michigan Humane Society.

Michigan Humane Society
900 North Newburgh
(1/2 Mile South of Ford Road)
Westland, Michigan
(734) 721-7300 


Please check the Michigan Human Society - Berman Center for Animal Care website for hours of operation. 

Q: What does Animal Control do?
Livonia Animal Control Officers enforce the ordinances that deal specifically with dogs, cats and ferrets. Animal Control Officers also advise and assist citizens on subjects dealing with wildlife.

Q: Where is Animal Control Located?
Animal Control is located in the Public Service Division Building at Schoolcraft and Farmington.

Q: Does my dog need to be on a leash?
Not necessarily. Ordinance No. 6.04.270 states, "Dogs must be under reasonable control." Basically, this means that if your dog can be controlled by a voice command, this is considered "reasonable control". If your dog does not listen and does not respond to voice command, there is no "reasonable control".

Q: Can my dog run loose in a City park?
NO. All dogs (and cats) must be on a leash in a City park. In addition, any animal feces must be removed by the owner.

Q: Is my cat allowed to run loose?
NO. Under Ordinance No. 6.06.150, Part B, it states, "It shall be unlawful for the owner or any other person having the possession, custody, care or control thereof to permit any cat to be at large upon the public walks, parks, or any other public place within the city, or upon any private property within the City without the permission of the owner or occupant of such private property".

Q: How many dogs or cats are citizens allowed?
Three dogs and/or three cats.

Q: Do dogs, cats and ferrets need to be licensed?

Q: What do I need to obtain a license and where do I go?
You need a current Rabies Certificate from your veterinarian. You can take the certificate either to the City Clerk's office in City Hall, or to the Michigan Humane Society in Westland, and for a fee, you can purchase a license.

Q: If a stray is picked up, where do the Animal Control Officers take it?
The City of Livonia has a contract with the Michigan Humane Society and we take all stray and wild animals there.

Q: If I have a wild animal on my property, whom should I call?
Wild animals are free-roaming and are not considered a public problem unless they are obviously sick or injured.  We cannot transport healthy wildlife.  For sick or injured animals, contact Animal Control during work hours, or the Police Department after hours and on weekends.

Q: Who should I contact if bitten by an animal?
If the incident occurs between the hours of 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM, call Public Service at (734) 466-2655 and an animal bite report will be recorded. If the bite occurs after hours, or on the weekend, call the Livonia Police Department at (734) 466-2470 and they will take the report.  Any medical reports should be included with the bite report.

Q: Does the police department have records of lost animals?
Yes, but only if the owner calls and reports the animal missing. The police department keeps a record of the lost animal and will also keep a record of found animals if they are called in.

Q: Does the police department pick up lost or dead animals?
NO. Animal Control picks up lost animals - Phone # 734-466-2655.  The Sanitation Department picks up dead animals on the roadway - #734-466-2588.

Q: Will Animal Control pick up healthy "wild animals"?
NO.  You must call your own Pest control removal service.